Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Eighth Grade or Ninth

I used to have a MySpace account.  I started my blog there.  But after I had a few too many technical difficulties, I moved the blog here.  I have since closed the MySpace account.  I hate to lose all of my blogs from that time, so from time to time I'm going to repost them here. 

This one was originally posted on September 22, 2006. 


It was 5:45 AM when my cell phone rang.  I was barely awake but alert enough to take the call.  I was going to get to work today.

The sub caller gave me two choices.  English--8th or 9th grade.

For me, that was a toss up.  Eighth graders are evil.  But ninth graders (especially so early in the year) can be difficult as well.  I needed more information.  I asked for the teachers' names.

This gave me a bit more, but both classes were still pretty evenly matched.  I had subbed for each teacher in the past, and neither class seemed objectionable.  Both teachers had a fair amount of control over their classes.  Neither group would be a nightmare.

The 8th grade teacher tended to have more of a "reading" class (the less bright of the grade).  But the kids seem to think that the 9th grade teacher is "weird" (they may take their frustrations out on me). 

Six of one, half dozen of another.

The 9th grade English classes are class size limited--no more than 20 students in a class.  So, 9th grade it is.

Mind you, this took me less than a minute to decide.  Can't keep the sub caller waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.