Friday, June 11, 2010

The Cheat

It was 6th period in the middle school computer class.  Two boys had my attention.  They weren't bad per se, but they were on the border of playing around too much.  (It's the end of the year.  There's going to be some goofing off.) 

The first assignment was a crossword puzzle.  It took them way too long to finish it.  The next assignment was to take a three minute typing test (here).  One of the boys got a score of 107 words per minute.  ??? 

He was cheating.  There was no way that he could type that fast.  But how can you cheat a typing test website?  Is that even possible? 

So, I asked how he cheated the site.  He was kind enough to show me. 

He started a test.  He typed the first word.  Then he hit space.  Then backspace.  Space again.  Backspace again.  He could hit those two keys very, very fast.  And his words per minute went up and up and up. 

Also, no errors. 

Of course, the point of the typing test was to practice for their final typing test next week.  They are supposed to be able to type at least 35 words per minute.  So, the cheat cheated only the boys who were doing it. 

Although, now the teacher knows that it is possible to cheat the site.  I wasn't about to keep that tidbit to myself. 

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe he was proud enough to show you! I've heard police say it's hard for criminals to be anonymous, so here's a mild example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was the way I asked. I was impressed that he fooled the system and was curious how he managed it. (I once got a class to show me how they managed to get on MySpace even though it was blocked. They used proxy servers.)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.