Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Accidental Calls

This is a repost from July 26, 2007 (from a previous blog platform).

I was in the same classroom yesterday. I looked over at the call button, and for some reason, this incident popped into my head. I thought I would share.

A funny thing happened in first period...

They don't have phones in the classrooms there. What they have is an intercom system. Push the button once and the office responds. Push the button multiple times and security comes running (used for emergencies or fights). I rarely need to use the intercom.

So, it's near the end of the period and the intercom goes off: "Office."

I didn't call them. That's when I saw the student. He was sitting on a stool right in front of the button.

Me to him: "Did you lean against the button?"

Then, me to the office: "Oops, sorry. Hit the button by mistake."

I glared at the student. Seconds later, security showed up.

He burst into the room: "What's wrong?"

I got to glare at the student again. At this point the student realized that sitting on that stool--not such a good idea.

He found himself another seat. And I had no more accidental office calls.

There is no longer a stool in front of that button. I wondered. But it's been a while since this incident, and there have been other changes to the classroom since then as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.