Friday, July 31, 2009

Texting Impressions

I was in a big craft store today (read: yarn run). I was checking out. I had swiped my card through the reader, and I stepped back towards the cashier. That's when I caught her on her cell phone. She was texting.

The cashier was young. She wasn't much more than a teenager. She had her back to me. She had turned so that if I hadn't moved, I wouldn't have seen the cell phone. I doubt she even realized that I caught her at it.

I was shocked. I wasn't so much shocked that she was texting, but I was shocked that she thought that this was appropriate when she was working.

Sure, she only delayed my checkout by seconds. And perhaps I'm just old. But I kind of doubt that her boss would appreciate that sort of thing by an employee.

This got me to thinking, though. Do these kids really think that we're so oblivious? I see it at school all the time. A kid will have her hands under her desk in her purse. Does she think I don't know she's on her cell phone? Perhaps because I don't call them on it, the kids think that no one sees. But they're seen. And it gives off a bad impression.

I wonder how long it'll take the craft store to notice the texting on the job. I wonder if they'll do anything about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.