Friday, May 15, 2009

Begging for $25

"Teacher, do you have a dollar?"

It is my policy to never lend money to a student.  I'll never get it back.  The student asked other students until finally one boy gave her a dollar.

"Good.  Now I just need 24 more."

In dribs and drabs I got the full story.  The girl was trying to scrounge up enough money for a prom ticket.  A prom ticket was $75.  The girl had to purchase the ticket today.  Their prom is tomorrow.  So, this was all very last minute.

One boy offered the girl $30 (he took it out of his pocket and everything), but he was kidding.  The students didn't have a lot of sympathy for the girl.  Nothing like waiting until the last minute.

Then I got a call.  The office wanted me to send the girl up to them.  Her parent was at school to pick her up and take her home.  So, I have no idea if she ever got her prom ticket.  

This girl is going to graduate in about a month.  I hope she's not planning her after high school career like she planned for prom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.