Monday, August 4, 2008

Drenched

I practically tripped over the big, orange, industrial strength fan as I walked into the classroom. Instantly I knew what it meant. The air conditioning was broken.

It's so weird. It's the middle of summer, yet I'm subbing. So far, I have four days on this pay period's time sheet. School doesn't start until September. So, when I got called last night to work today, I was happy to take the assignment.

I wasn't so happy about the assignment when I walked into the classroom. It hasn't been terribly hot this summer, but that classroom was nearing 80 degrees at 7:30 in the morning. Not a good sign. Also not a good sign--there was one door and the windows did not open.

By the middle of first period I was dripping with sweat. I kind of accepted my fate early on. It was only for one day. The regular teacher has to be in that room every day (probably why he called out sick today--just a guess). It was a relief when snack time came and I could go to the main office and sit in the cool for a few minutes.

By the afternoon it was positively stifling. The broken thermostat no longer could tell the temperature in the room--it only went up to just over 80 degrees. But by this time word had gotten to the administration and help was on the way. They moved us to air conditioned rooms for the afternoon classes (rooms whose teachers were on prep periods). Ah, relief.

At the end of the day I found out that there was a work order in for someone to come and fix the a/c, but somehow that work order had been forgotten. I was surprised that the teacher hadn't complained more loudly. I suppose he had just gotten used to it. But the secretary put in a call again today, so hopefully they'll fix it tomorrow.

Perhaps I accomplished something today. Or perhaps I'm just too spoiled by our climate controlled world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.