Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My Turn?

It's that time of year. It's STAR testing time.

Around here, the district designates this week as their "dead week", meaning that there are no meetings, no conferences, no school business reasons for a teacher to be out of class. But teachers still get sick, so we subs still can work, although the likelihood isn't very high. That is why I happily accepted the assignment to cover a health class today.

Today's schedule had testing all morning and three half-hour classes in the afternoon. Subs aren't allowed to proctor the tests, so for the morning testing session we were designated as breakers. That is, when a teacher needed some time out of their classroom, we were sent to relieve him/her.

The testing session was 4 1/2 hours. During that time, six of us sat in the teacher's lounge and waited. Someone from the office would poke her head in and give us a room number. And we would look at each other daring each other to get up and go.

Nah, it wasn't that bad. Someone had the bright idea to make a list, and every time one of us went out to relieve a teacher, we put a hash mark next to our name. We were supposed to go in some sort of order, but that fell away pretty quickly (when I had just gotten back from relieving someone, it was my turn again?), and we were kind of on an honor system. Though, judging by the hash marks on the sheet, we each did our share.

I was grateful when it was time to start the teaching part of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.