Thursday, December 27, 2007

Strange Car Problems

I caught a cold just in time for Christmas. So, I've been miserable for a couple days. All I wanted to do yesterday was to breathe without effort. Well, that and not do anything except rest. But there was one errand that I was obligated to run.

This all started last Wednesday (the 19th). I was at home, minding my own business when I got a frantic phone call from my mother. The bumper to her car had fallen off, and she needed me to come and pick her up.

She had not gotten into an accident. She had not hit anything. As far as she and the friend who was with her could figure out, she must have scraped the curb when she drove in or out of a driveway (her car is low, but she compensates for that). This should not have damaged her bumper, but then again, this was not the first strange thing that happened to this car.

A few years ago I was riding along with her. We were driving along an ordinary street when this (for want of a better word) bum came up and jumped on the hood of her car and made funny faces (and a growling noise) for no apparent reason. And then Mom had to take her car in to get the dent on her hood fixed.

Then a couple years ago we were going south on the 605 (I was with her this time as well) when some freeway debris came flying at the car. It looked like the bottom part of one of those yellow cones that work crews put out to divert traffic. When we later went to inspect the damage, we found that the license plate had been sheared off and that the underside of the car was damaged.

Actually, that time they had to replace the front bumper--the very same bumper that fell off last week. Hmmm.

And come to think of it, that last incident happened around this time--after Christmas but before January 1st. The bum incident? January. Wow. This is not a good time of year for Mom's car.

Yesterday I picked Mom up from the car rental place--she wanted to return her rental car. She's supposed to get her car back today.

I am grateful for one thing though--I wasn't with her for this particular incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.