Monday, December 3, 2007

Contrary

I just got done with a three-day assignment. 7th graders. Ugh.

Today I was to give the assignment, tell them that it was due at the end of the period, and then at the end of the period I was to tell them to finish whatever they had not finished for homework. That's kind of dishonest, but I've been subbing long enough to know that that was a good plan, and I stuck with it.

Usually, if I tell a class that the assignment for the day will be due the next day, the class spends the class period playing (thereby making more work for me as I have to keep after them), and when I tell them to get to work, they tell me that they'll do it at home. I have heard every excuse. These are generally some variation of, "I don't have anything else to do at home".

So, telling them that the assignment is due at the end of the period makes good sense. But these kids decided to be contrary.

At the end of the period I gave them the news. And they were upset. "Why didn't you tell us this before?" I was asked. "If I had known it was due tomorrow, I would have done more in class."

Now you tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.