Friday, October 19, 2007

Scenes from Special Ed.

I'm exhausted. I had two days of intensive special education. Not that I mind. It's nice to change things up now and then. But these kids needed more attention than your average class.

Yesterday a girl had a meltdown. She didn't want to do her assignment. The adult assistant in class was trying to get her to work. The girl freaks out because I was "looking at her". So, I turned my head, told her I wouldn't look at her, and shielded my eyes. For some reason that helped.

Today the math class was doing multiplication bingo. (Did I mention these were high school aged kids?) Every time I'd call out a number (i.e. 8 x 7), one boy had to look at his cheat sheet to figure out what the answer was. Even for things like 2 x 3.

Journal topic: What would you do if you could fly? One boy had issues with the topic. He couldn't fly, so it was a stupid question. It had to be explained to him to pretend that he could fly. Five minutes of discussion later, he was finally able to come up with five sentences.

I tried to make innocuous conversation. About the weather. "But I don't care about the weather." This was followed by a lecture (by the assistant) about how making small talk is something that people must do.

Special education teachers. They have to deal with these people every day. They have my utmost respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.